Friday, April 29, 2011

Picnic Quilt Planning

It's been lovely outside so I decided to take Micah out to splash around on the patio and while I was at it I started  planning a picnic quilt that I have been collecting fabric for. 
 I couldn't find an average size for a picnic blanket so I decided 100"x100" seemed like plenty of room, and it could be a layer on our bed in the winter. I wanted to keep the blocks large so here's what I came up with...
 I've been collecting yellow and green fabrics for a while. So I got to cutting and seeing what would fit where. It came together pretty quickly since there aren't that many pieces
 Unfortunately I REALLY underestimate the size of a roughly 100"x100" quilt.... just over 8'.... SAY WHAT? I now have to figure out what on earth I am going to back it in a how I am going to quilt it.... But at least it will fit on our queen bed in the event I never want to take something this large outside.... 
Hope you all have a good weekend... I may or may not be back next week... depends on if this quilt eats me for dinner

6 comments:

Unknown said...

ahh wonderful quilt!!! love the planning section! i didnt think of planning sewing patchworks in this way! nice! ;D

kathy said...

I think this is one of my favorite things about quilting vs. garment sewing--the use of graph paper!

Jennifer said...

what a co-inky-dink! I was looking at the one from film in the fridge and thinking I needed one! I love the colors you chose! You know I just did a 102"x102" for my sister's kind size bed. It was soooooo heavy! Maybe you could just tie it in the corners (in each square). I know that's not in these days with quilts but it's screams picnic quilt! I love that baby pool!

Adrienne said...

Ooh, that whale baby pool is just too cute! I need to get a kiddie pool for Elora, it's finally warm enough.

That picnic quilt is looking lovely; you'll have to show it to us when it's finished. :)

Corinnea said...

Your quilt is lovely. I would say more but I am too tired..... =)

Nicole said...

I love the colors together! So impressed with your planning process!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...