Saturday, October 10, 2009

Something New

I actually managed to not show this project before I finished it (can you believe that?) so this is going to be a picture heavy post.
I have been wanting to do a growth chart in the same style as my pillows for quite a while and I finally got around to marking it off my list.

The animals are a mix of embroidery and felt. I wanted them to be more on the realistic side I think it turned out pretty well.

The fox. I was a little worried about the fact that he is supposed to be a fox getting across because the felt is a little more brown then I wanted but a friend saw the chart at the shower and knew what he was right away so whew! Hopefully people won't think it's a dog or something.
I second guessed myself a LOT on doing the birds in full embroidery but I think they turned out.
Bees. I love them, but not in real life!
I am digging hives to. The Black Apple had a sketch a while back that had a girls skirt as a bee hive and I have been even more jazzed about them since... it would be a really cool costume or just to make a skirtthat looked like that... too bad I dont make clothes... or maybe it is a good thing because I think I would try it! Mum? What do you think?



Totally digging the nest. The twigs making it up were a lot of fun to do.

I used Song bird in Teal by Holly Anderson for the back and gave myself two ways to hang it since I couldn't decide what I would like more.
Well I am off to get another project started. It's totally going to be copying someone else (Jennifer) so I hope she doesn't mind! I will be back later with pictures!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG Jessica! I am breathless but not wordless yet (that's kinda hard to do). This is incredible. I mean it. This is so beautiful. I thought you were talented before but I'm am in awe. I can only imagine how much time and effort went into this. I don't think there is any way you could have done it any better. Is this all your own idea, it really doesn't matter, you rock. From the pattern to the stitchery, it's an artist masterpiece. This should definately be in a high end baby store. BTW - are you expecting?
Have a blessed, sweet Sunday.
Hugs...Tracy :)

Jessica said...

Thanks Tracey! Yes it is all my own and no not expecting. I just enjoy designing stuff for kids! We have so many people we know that have had kids lately that most of my ideas come from thinking up things to give them.

Corinnea said...

Yet again you just amaze me. I LOVE this. You just keep getting better and better.

Adrienne said...

Beautiful! You are just amazing. :)

Jennifer said...

this is GORGEOUS!!! I love the beehive, nest and butterfly. And I knew it was a fox so you did right:) SO it's all fabric/embroidery
and you painted the tree? Really really awesome!

Jessica said...

Thanks guys! The tree and flying bird is painted everything else is embroidered and appliqued felt.

Malinda said...

Your work is just beautiful. Stop with the second-guessing and enjoy your talents!

sherie lee said...

This is my fav one so far, the birds, beautiful!!!

Norma's Nonsense said...

as I told you yesterday I love the new chart, the blue jay is really kool and the fox. You always come up thing new and beautiful things.

kms handmade said...

WOW!!! That is impressive!

N said...

Hi! Just came across this while searching for a good handmade growth chart and it's beautiful and just what I was looking for! Any chance you could post a tutorial on this, or a few instructions? I'd love to make something like this for some friends. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...